Thursday, November 21, 2013

Hey, I Cooked!

y'all. it was SO hard to get up this morning. like so so hard. my room was cold and i was warm under my blankets. plus the room was dark and i was just sleeping oh so good. not to mention i went to bed at 7:30 last night. i don't know, i guess ya girl has been tiiiired. i feel like i have been going and going and going non-stop for the past few weeks. i'm ready for things to s l o w down but i know they won't. they are just getting started. hello holidays!

anyways, i think i had mentioned on here over the past few weeks that i had signed up to host bunko again in november. well i hosted it on tuesday night and it was a definite success. it's a little stressful hosting a big dinner for 13 women, but it's a little rewarding in ways, too. i don't cook very many dinners. okay okay i'm lying this was my first time cooking a big dinner for more people than just me, myself and i. whaaat? i know shocker. but i mean if you have been reading my blog for awhile now then you know my thoughts about cooking. yes, it's a little frightening, but here lately i haven't been to chicken about fixin a meal. i guess i've faced my fears and it's really not that hard. i'm pretty proud of myself actually, even if the crock pot did most of the work.

so today, i'm sharing the super easy recipes for the dinner & dessert i made on tuesday. 
as for the dinner, that was the easiest. i planned to make crock pot chicken tacos. hey, i was going for "easy" and that's definitely what i found after searching "super easy crock pot tacos" in google. i picked this recipe since it only involved three ingredients. i figured there's no way i could screw that up. i was still a little nervous though cause i had never even used a crock pot before. heck my crock pot was still in the box. 
ingredients:
8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (mine were frozen and i put them in the fridge over night)
1 16oz jar of you favorite salsa. (my fav is robbi's from hallmark)
1 packet of taco seasoning (i used the reduced sodium kind)
basically the directions are just three easy steps:
put in your chicken
pour in your salsa
sprinkle the taco seasoning on top
cover the crock pot and cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
when it's done cooking just stir it with a fork and the chicken shreds apart.
i had a taco bar set up with tortillas and chips + all the best toppings.
easy, peasy, japanesy!!

next for the dessert i wanted to do something with pumpkin since we are so close to thanksgiving. every year at work we have an annual thanksgiving potluck and one of my co-workers always makes pumpkin patch dessert. y'all it melts in your mouth it is so good. one of the best pumpkin recipes i have ever had. well i had decided from the get go that that's what i was making for dessert.
it, like the dinner, was super easy to make, too. although i was still a little nervous cause i had never made it before. but it turned out AMAZING! and i was a little depressed that there wasn't very much left over for me to snack on all week. 
ingredients:
1 29oz can pumpkin
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 (small) can of evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice.
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup butter (melted)
nuts (optional)

directions:
mix your pumpkin, salt, eggs, evaporated milk, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice in a big mixing bowl.
pour mixture into a 9 x 13 pan.
sprinkle the yellow cake mix on top of mixture.
pour melted butter on top of the cake mix.
(you can add nuts but i don't like em so i kept those out)
bake at 350 for 1 hour. 
let cool, and then enjoy! i topped my servings with whipped cream. it was perfect and i'm thinking about making another for me, myself, and i this weekend.

let me just say that i'm glad i decided to make my own dinner this time. i've had my mom make it for me in the past, so this time i wanted to face my fears and try it out on my own. although i did make her buy the chicken. i think i'll try this cooking thing out a lot more. hey i'm sure there's tons of three ingredient recipes out there somewhere.
do you like to cook? what's your favorite?

well ya girl is bout to go eat her some fried chicken that walmart made before i go a clean a rent house. i'm so happy tomorrow is friday. i have a super small post but i will be back to show off some new things regardless. 
happy thursday to you!
"hey, they laughed at louis armstrong when he said he was gonna go to the moon. now he's up there laughing at them."
[blades of glory]

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, those look super tasty! I've never even heard of that dessert, but I'm super curious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made those tacos and loved how they turned out! It was so easy- I freakin love crockpot dishes. And I basically love anything pumpkin flavored, so I'll have to try out this dessert! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete