Thursday, February 24, 2011

confe$$ions of a $hopaholic

"You know the feeling when you see someone cute and he smiles and your heart kinda goes like warm butter sliding down hot toast? Well, thats what it's like when i see a store, only better."

Sometimes shopping can make anyone feel better, for me it ALWAYS makes me feel better. Whenever I'm really feel down in the dumps, bummed out, or just plain rotten the moment I step one foot in a huge clothing store I know that everything is going to be okay.

I used to hate shopping. It kills me to write hate and shopping in the same sentence. I've been blessed my whole life with nice things but I've also had it pounded into my head the "importance to managing your money" meaning my parents taught me how to spend my money wisely; which is probably why I am as independent as i am. Not a bad thing. I remember how angry i would get when my mom wouldn't buy me this or why my dad wouldn't just pay for that but I see now why...yep my parents were right. As much as i hate confessing that, they really did teach me the value of a dollar bill. 
Sooooo....back to why I hated shopping. I guess since I had to buy my own things and I didn't make enough allowance to buy all that I wanted, it wasn't fun. Not that I can buy everything I want now either I just can buy more than I could before. And it's nice. My parents always gave my sister and i money for "back to school shopping" and we could always talk my mom into buying us something when we went to park plaza. But for the most part, if I wanted it I had to save up my money and get it myself. So of course shopping wasn't always my favorite cause I couldn't afford it.

Not now. I love being a grown up! It has it's hard times but I will never say 'i wish i was a kid again.' When i was a kid, i couldnt afford to buy designer jeans, coach shoes, vera wang purses, or any other fabulous glamorous item that would have my self confidence shoot through the roof. I feel pretty in nice clothes. Have i turned into a bit of a shopaholic? A bit would probably be an understatement. Now, I am no way as bad as Rebecca Bloomwood with mountains of debt and a few debt collectors on my tail because I do anything I can to save money; I stopped smoking to have extra shopping money, i stopped paying for cable/internet to have more shopping dollars, and I stopped buying so much junkfood. That also helps me to fit into all the wondeful clothes. Makes sense to me. 

"A man will never love you or treat you as well as a store. If a man doesnt fit you cant exchange him seven days later for a gorgeous cashmere sweater. And a store always smells good. A store can awaken a lust for things you never knew you needed." 
As my fingers touch and feel every different piece of material it's as if the store goes totally silent and all i can hear are the amazing clothes reaching out for me to take them home. When i walk into a store all my worries go away, i feel better, and i know everything is going to be okay. It's like magic.

I know the reason I have been feeling down is because shopping hasn't been in my life for about 2 weeks. I told myself I needed to take a break from all my spending and just buy things i "need" well I NEED clothes. Like every other addict out there..I have a problem and retail therapy is all that i need. I work hard, I pay my bills on time (sometimes), and its my hard earned money that i can spend on however many clothes i want. or however many dvds i want. For me shopping helps me clear my head and gives me the confidence boost i need to get through the week.

When i shop the world gets better and the world is better. but then it's not, and i have to do it again...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you love shopping, you make me want to go shopping.

    ReplyDelete